15 August 2007

Madness??? This...Is...Sparta!!!

I'm a 'chick-flick' type of girl. Sure, when I was younger, I spent many an evening at the movie theatre watching horror - the scarier the better. I think I've outgrown that somewhat, but a little creepy is always good. I also love kid's movies - I even spent time wondering what I was going to do when my children finally grew up and I had no one to take to these movies - I often joked that I would have to rent a child just so I would have someone to go with. As well, I'm a lover of 'fluff' - you know, "Van Wilder", "Napoleon Dynamite", and stupid comedies like that. My kids and I will blurt out quotes from these movies at any given time and laugh our asses off - even if it's been months or years since we've seen the actual movie.

There are certain types of movies, however, that I don't like - anything that has to do with gladiators, any extreme ridiculous violence (vampire movies excluded). There's tasteful violence and then it borders on the line of absurd. I mean, "The Blair Witch Project" was insane good, and there wasn't one ounce of bloodshed in the entire movie. My son? Well, he's not like that. He's a huge "Star Wars" fan. Even at 3 years old, he would sit watching the old movies, with his light saber in one hand and his Darth Vader helmet on his head. I didn't get it at all - So when George Lucas decided to make 3 prequels to the trilogy, I shuddered to think that I would have to spend time at the theatre watching these, all the while, trying to stay awake. Let me just say, that after "Episode 1", I was hooked. I'm a huge sucker for a love story, and I'll pick it out & embrace it. I was enchanted by Anikin's love for Padme, and that got me to the movies - waiting in line for hours, and I was a "Star Wars" fan after all.

When the previews came out for "300", Adam was stoked. I adamantly refused to go see it, even to the point when I dropped him & his friend at the theatre to see it, and I was informed that because it was rated 18A, I had to actually go in with them, I told them to pick another movie or we were leaving. Despite all the great reviews it received, there was no way I was even going to consider it. The trailers made it look extremely violent, and plotless. So, Adam waited for it to come on DVD, and, as promised, I bought it for him on the 1st day it was released.

Just this past weekend, he was talking about it to me, so, out of curiosity, I asked him to give me a brief synopsis of the film. Much to my surprise, it had a very interesting story - as well, King Leonidas (the main character) had a wife that he adored. Wow! There's a bit of a love story! So, I figured, 'what the heck', and I sat down and watched it with him. All I can say is, holy shit - the movie was amazing. It completely captured my attention - I will be the 1st to say that I was totally wrong. I don't think it's changed my taste in movies at all, but this went above and beyond the realm of anything I was ever interested in before. I think I'll be quoting this movie for a long time. "Spartans! Ready your breakfast and eat hearty, for tonight we dine in Hell!" Soooo good!

Have a great day, everyone. Peace

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on the violence at the movies - I just don't want to see it on the big screen. I do want to see 300 though, at home, on a much smaller screen. It's in our netflix queue!

Darlene said...

sue: you won't be disappointed! :o)

Kare said...

Hey Girl!
You're back! I'm so excited! You even made a blogging vow. Holy. That's serious stuff. ; )
Violence is not for me, either.

Must meet up in the next couple of days.
<3

Darlene said...

kare: yay - you're back!! And you even text messaged me! Clearly you are the technological queen now! Maybe we can get together Friday? I only work til noon! Call me tomorrow!

Desperate Housewife said...

I'm definitely a chick-flick kind of gal, but I always thought this looked interesting.

Librarian Girl said...

That makes me want to see it! Thanks for the recommendation.

Darlene said...

dh: It really was - like I said, nothing like I'd ever watched before.

librarian: I've got a 'thing' for powerful men, so the king grabbed my attention even as a dirty Spartan. Go check out the actual actor on imdb.com - his name is Gerard Butler. wowza.

Anonymous said...

Update: Saw the movie yesterday with my ds and it IS very good! Amazing special effects and I almost shed a tear at the end. Of course, the rest of the day my son and I were yelling stuff like, "Spartans! Get ready for Outback!" and "Spartans! Get ready for brownies!"

P.S. Where those guys buff or WHAT?!

Darlene said...

sue: I know! Apparently the men trained quite extensively to get that "Spartan" physique. Lucky us. ;o)

The Chocolate Nerd said...

It was so visually sexy. One of my fav's although I'm growing tired of women being compromised in Hollywood. The 'rape' scene was so unnecessary. I just saw the hills have eyes two. I'm so disturbed. NEVER EVER watch this. Unless you're into gratuitous violence against women. I swear, it defiled my eyes.