08 August 2007

Do you ever find that your life is so busy, that at the end of the day, you don't look at what you've accomplished - instead you beat yourself up at the things that you forgot to do? When I took this job a few years ago, I couldn't believe the luck I had, working Monday to Thursday til 2:30pm and Fridays til noon, and no holidays. I could finally be somewhat domestic! Things would get done around the house, and I wouldn't feel like my days off consisted of nothing more than cleaning & laundry. This lasted for about a month. Even though my day begins at 5:20am, there still never seems to be enough hours in the day to get to everything.

I was looking forward to this past weekend. It was a long weekend, and I figured I could devote one whole day to housecleaning/laundry & then I'd have two days of just enjoyment. I don't know what it's like in your house, but when the entire family is home (especially the husband), it seems as if all plans are thrown out the window. Monday night came, the house was still a mess, and I had to be back to work the next day.

Because I'm doing a favor for my manager in the next few days, she suggested that I take today as a "Personal Day" (which I like to refer to as a 'sanity day') Wow! A day in the middle of the week! My husband would be at work, the kids would be doing their thing, and I would be alone! My mind started racing at all the opportunities that this day had in store for me. The possibilities were endless! So, being given this unexpected gift, I started making mental notes as to how I would spend this glorious time. This what I came up with:

1) Make muffins out of the bananas that are about to start a mutiny on the counter
2) Change bedding & finally unpack the suitcase that's been in the bedroom for 2 weeks
3) Attack the 4 foot mountain of laundry
4) Dust furniture, because it looks like potatoes could grow in places
5) Clean floors & bathrooms
6) Cook a nice dinner

So, that's the plan....In reality, here's how I'm assuming my day will unfold:

1) Make muffins (yes, I really think I'll do this)
2) Decide that the bedding can wait until the weekend and walk out of the bedroom, tripping over the suitcase on the way out
3) Play a few games on pogo.com
4) Start to fold one load of laundry while watching the cooking channel & decide that it's a 'me' day, so have a much deserved nap
5) Realize at 4:30 that nothing was taken out for dinner, and order pizza

Hey, at least I'm being realistic.

Have a great day, everyone. Peace.

11 comments:

Lucy said...

Wow...it has been a long time since you posted...glad you're back!!!

Darlene said...

Thanks Lucy - It's good to be back. :o)

Netter said...

Ok, seriously...have you been spying on me? That sounds like a run down of my day to day activities. Well, maybe not every day. You know, things always get done around here, sooner or later, so I try not to stress out to much unless we are expecting company.

Anonymous said...

oh my god.
me and you are the same person.
see - i LOVE making plans.
then its like facebook...myspace..talk on the phone.. go for a smoke.. etc etc.

i love you more and more everyday.
... only because you remind me of myself. ahaha <3

Darlene said...

nett: I did manage to get some stuff done today - I even took pictures for proof. LOL

Amy: We're so alike, it's scary - except I have my driver's license.

.:Cris:. said...

LOL sounds like a day at my place! ;) Screw it, lets have coffee.

Cris~

Dan said...

Welcome back Darlene! I missed you!

OK ... so how did your predictions fare?

Anonymous said...

Hmm, except for the job part, this all sounds very familiar! LOL Er, did you get your badges yet?

Librarian Girl said...

Making muffins is an accomplishment, in my book. Anything more is gravy.

Darlene said...

dan: missed you too! I was pretty close to my predictions - however, nap time came around 2:30pm. :o)

sue: I'm working on a 'spider solitaire' badge now - it's driving me crazy!

librarian: I love to bake - If it were up to me, I'd never cook & just make desserts all day.

Darlene said...

cris: that's a perfect day!