11 December 2006

The Ice Storm


Okay, since kare has been bugging me forever to do this blog, I figure I should probably do it.

I started figure skating probably around the age of 5 or 6. My brother was in hockey all of his life, so we pretty much spent a lot of our evenings and weekends at the rink.

I loved to skate. I loved the ice shows. I loved dressing up and performing. I lived for it. And then, around the time I was 13, I had gone as far as I could go in the small town we had lived in, so I started teaching the new kids, which meant everything to me.

My Dad was the typical 'hockey dad'. Even though my parents worked constantly, he was always at my brother's games, and going away quite often on his tournaments. It really wasn't that way with my skating. I know, it doesn't have the excitement of hockey, but I was usually dropped off and either driven home by another skating mom or in a cab. I can only remember them ever going to my year-end ice shows. But I didn't care. My parents had me enrolled in every extra-curricular activity known to man, but skating was the only thing I truly loved.

Skip ahead....We were doing the show based on the story 'Oliver!' when I was 13. I was skating as a market girl selling flowers. I loved it. I can still see the dress, and it was my favorite show ever. After the show, I overheard my mother talking to another skating mom who was complimenting my performance, and my Mom was saying, "Darlene will never be a real figure skater. She doesn't have the grace for it." That was the last time I put on a pair of skates for almost 23 years.

My girlfriend, Dena called me about 3-4 years ago because the skating club in town was offering adult lessons and she was wondering if I'd be interested. After long thought, I figured, why not? I purchased my 1st pair of skates since I was a kid, flew out on that ice and fell flat on my ass. I got up, and I fell. I got up again, and I fell again. But I continued to get up until I didn't fall anymore, and I loved it still.

We had a few people in our classes over the past years that had no clue whatsoever. At one point 2 years ago, one lady fell so hard, when she hit the ice and cracked her skull, you could feel the vibration throughout the entire arena.

Skip ahead to registration this September. Dena calls me to see if I'm still interested. Hell yeah, I'm still interested - Friday nights are the highlight of my week. I live to get out on the ice. But wait - there's a stipulation this year. Because of 'cracked skull lady' we have to wear helmets. Silence.

For about 20 minutes, I thought 'I can't do this. Geez, I can skate my ass off. I'm not wearing a stupid helmet'. And, to find the humor in it, we all joked about skating with the 'special' people while I wear a helmet and a bib. Then it stopped. I couldn't believe that a stupid helmet would be the one thing that would stop me from doing this.

So, I 'Pimped my Helmet' with enough bling to sink a ship, and thought I seriously couldn't look any more idiotic than everyone else out there. It gets me out there, with the ice under the blades. Helmet or not, it will always be my favorite thing to do. If I do lose my balance every once in awhile, I blame it on the extra weight on my head.

Am I any good? I'm not great, but I'm not bad considering I'm kind of an old lady now - LOL. I forgot everything, but it's all coming back. I'm even practicing the "Dutch Waltz" after Christmas. I can't wait.

I'll take some pictures of Darlene and the Amazing Technicolor Helmet at the next class. LOL

Have a great evening, everyone. Peace.

24 comments:

Desperate Housewife said...

That's a nice story. Except for what your mom said. Mine used to tell me that I had a big nose, and that when I grew up, I could get a job, save my money, and get a nose job. It literally took me years to get over it. My nose is fine!
I wish I could skate. Well, I sort of can, but I can't stop very well.

Desperate Housewife said...

I can't get into Karen's blog. It just won't let me. It feels like junior high!

Unknown said...

Totally awesome story Darlene! I love that even after what your mom said all those years ago you still got back out there! Way to go you!!! Cant wait to see pics!

Darlene said...

dh: I sometimes wonder if things we say in passing will result in high therapy bills for our kis when we get older. LOL hey, I just tried kare's site & it works.

brandy: Thanks! :o) Funny thing about it is my mom can't skate at all.

Netter said...

Oh man! Did your Mom ever know that you overheard her and that is what led you to stop skating? I'm just glad to hear that you got back on the blades. I never had skates growing up, but when I was much older and moved away, I went to the rink one day and only fell twice in the 2 hours I was there. I was a roller skater so I figure that must have helped me out somehow.
I can't wait to see you in your pimped out skull cap. I bet you rock that sucker!

DH~ I can't leave comments on Kare's site either. I was trying to define Cankle for her. It does bring back memories of school.

Darlene said...

nett: Yeah, I finally told her when I started skating again. She actually laughed at it and told me I was over-sensitive. bitch. LOL

p.s. I've been unable to leave a comment on brandy's site. wtf?

Netter said...

I'm having the same problem on Brandy's site that I am having on Kare's site. I think the server is the issue. I finally got a message to try again later.

Mothers! They can be such pains.

Darlene said...

nett: yep - kare's site had the same problem. Hope she doesn't get too pissed off and beat the shit out of her computer or anything. lol

MisterZ said...

You look great with or without the helmet, and you are gracefull. Love you honey...

Netter said...

Nah, Kare is going shopping so we should worry about the people holding up the lines, instead of her computer. lol.

C... said...

I am hurt thinking what your mom said. I don't know if you have any hard feelings toward her - maybe it was the truth but hearing it like that makes you feel like she had no confidence in you.

Desperate Housewife said...

Hey Netter, I can't get into Karen's or Brandy's blogs either.
It's been about two days. I think they're both using the new beta blogger thingey. Or, they don't like us!

Desperate Housewife said...

Oh my God, CANKLES!!
I remember the term, but where did it come from?

Darlene said...

misterz: love you too xoxoxox

nett: I know what cankles are! LOL

c: I know - she can be quite the woman sometimes...LOL

Darlene said...

I still can't post on brandy or kare's sites either. grrr.

Netter said...

lol, well I don't have cankles....yet. I can't say what the future holds. sigh, now I am depressed.

Don't feel bad, I can't leave comments on their sites either and I wasn't able to post on mine part of the day. Blogger must have PMS, its pretty moody today.

DH~ Beta is the pain in my behind....do you think that is the reason? I could switch over now, but I don't think I want to. I guess eventually we have to.

Kare said...

Hi!
I don't know what's going on in blogland but it's making me feel all lonely with out you guys. sigh. And yes, it's the beta thing. I had no choice when I did the new blog.

Darlene, I wanted to go into ballet when I was a kid and my mom said that I was too clumsy. We were totally destined to be friends.

I have to know what Cankles are! Please tell me, someone!
Misterz! Alright!

Anonymous said...

Oh man! I'm pea green with envy! You were living the skating childhood I always wanted! However, that steams my broccoli thinking about the esteem-killing comments adults can make. Sheesh! Anyway, enjoy the skating now. I'm sure you be stunning in your fancy helmet with your fancy moves.

.:Cris:. said...

The first time I heard the word "cankles" was in that movie with Gwennie where she played the fat & skinny chick- Shallow Hal? Cankles refers to huge ankles, dont remember the 2 words put together to get it though :) There, feel better now?

Loved your story Darlene. You go girl!

Cris~

Netter said...

Kare~ your Beta site is forcing me to switch to beta to comment on your site. Sheesh.

I'll email you and let you know what cankles are. It's kind of scary. Do you think you can handle it?

Darlene said...

cankles - when you don't know where your calf ends and your ankles begin. LOL

Darlene said...

You guys are making me & my helmet feel very loved. ;o)

kare: fate (and crazy mothers) made us destined to be soul sisters.

sue: Many years of therapy made me realize that I wasn't the crazy one in my family. LOL

.:cris:. thanks! I've missed you around my neck of the woods! :o)

Netter said...

I can't wait to see you in your helmet! A little bit of bling makes everything better.

Liz said...

I used to skate too, until the day I hit my head on a barrier (bad axel experience) and snapped my glasses in half.

"Yay!" for getting back into it, and a hearty "boo!" to the lady who told your mother you weren't graceful. Can't wait to see the pics.

Liz