18 September 2006

Kiss the Crown


I was told last week by someone that I was "High Maintenance". I first took this as a joke, but when I realized that there was no humor in their voice, I became a tad offended. Me??? High Maintenance??? nah. So, I started thinking back....way back.....

About two years after I got married (I'll be married 17 years in December), I redecorated the kitchen of a house we had bought. It was all green & plum. I had a little glass bottle that sat by the sink that held my dish soap. One day I had run out & I sent my husband to get some. You know, this in itself, was a mistake. He came back with soap that was dark blue. Dark Blue! In a green & plum kitchen! What was he thinking???? I think I actually had a seizure. The matter was quickly rectified, and I had green soap in less than an hour.

About 2 years ago, I had run out of laundry detergent. I sent my darling husband to get some. "I don't want to," he says. "Why not?" I ask. "Because I'll just end up getting the wrong stuff." Apparently, after all these years, I've turned him into a paranoid shopper who can't pull anything off the shelf without my approval. So I tell him I use Tide. How on earth could he possibly go wrong with that? So, I get home from work and walk in the porch and see the Tide sitting there.....Fragrance Free Tide. You've got to be kidding me. So, I walk in the house, look at him straight in the face and ask, "When in the history of me have I ever bought anything fragrance free????" The matter was quickly rectified and I had Tide with a shitload of fragrance in less than an hour. I was also informed that after 15 years of marriage that my husband was never going to pick anything up at the store for me again.

So, we're sitting at the dinner table last Friday and I looked at Vaughn and asked, "Do you think I'm high maintenance?" He froze. I'm talking "deer in the headlights" froze. My daughter walks in, so I ask her. She chuckles and says (very sarcastically, I might add), "um, yeah". I ask her to tell me what she means. She says, "You bought me an Abercrombie tote last month because you wanted to implement name brands into my wardrobe. Dad took you quading a few weeks ago, and he had to wait until you put your makeup on. Do you want me to continue??" My son joins in and says, "You make dad drive 4 hours so you can go to Ikea just to get napkins." So, I proceed to defend myself by saying, "There are no good napkins in this stupid town!" Then, I'm guessing my husband finally thawed because, in the company of witnesses, he decided to contribute. "Look in the driveway. Look on your finger!" You see, I have a killer wedding set, but I have to explain that I never, ever asked for anything. I just simply state at one time or another that I want these things, and if he decides to go forward with getting them, that's purely up to him. And then he holds up the cutlery. I nearly shot him.

My daughter's friend came over this weekend to see the new car (yes, I got it....I actually sign the papers tomorrow). She looks at Amy & says, "Does your Mom have commitment issues with cars?" Okay, okay, it's my 3rd car in 2 years - sue me. My daughter, God bless her, looks at her friend and says, "My Mom has commitment issues with everything".

So, as we take my vehicle out of town this weekend so I can do a napkin run, I'll remember that as I don't get anything for the kids. And my husband should be overly grateful that I don't have a commitment issue with him. I realized that he was a keeper when a year went by & the novelty hadn't worn off.

So nice to know that my family's got my back.

19 comments:

mist1 said...

I think I am falling deeply in Like with you.

Except for that whole IKEA thing. I can only do IKEA online.

Kare said...

Are you kidding me?
You seriously had to ask?!?!
That in itself is hilarious!
Have a good day, Queenie!
Love you.

Darlene said...

mist: i actually go a smidge insane when I hit ikea - my eyes start darting left to right & I go in complete fast-forward. Panic sets in & I sweat...this is when I surprisingly always lose my husband...

kare: what are you trying to say?? Girlfriend, If I'm up there on that throne, you're most certainly right next to me. lol love you. hope everything went ok today.

.:Cris:. said...

(plops big, spoiled butt between darlene & kare)

So, where's the coffee? Not just any coffee- you know, how bout some 'Bou with fat-free hazelnut creamer...

:) Smile Darlene, we all gotta be something! LOL

Cris~

Kare said...

I know I am.
I don't have to ask.

Today sucked, BTW. If I die, I do not want a funeral or memorial. And I certainly don't ever want to be in a cemetary. That's all I know. Cemetaries (sp?) are bad Feng Shui, I think. All I see is pain there. No peace. And how could 'God' let all that happen. Religion is a lie. If you need something to believe in, believe in yourself.
If I offend anyone..Oh well.
(feel free to delete this, Darlene. I just had to vent.)
Off the soapbox.

Darlene said...

ummm....I don't even know how to comment on this...I am not going to delete this, kare, it's how you feel - I may not feel the same way you do, but they're your thoughts & if they're important to you, they're important to me as well... chin up, girlfriend. love you.

Darlene said...

.:cris:. hey, are you saying I'm spoiled???? lol okay, that's fair, I guess...feel free to plant your spoiled butt between kare & I. ;o)

.:Cris:. said...

hehehe... no, I was referring to my spoiled self, but if the shoe fits... LOL

((( hugs for Kare )))

Cris~

Netter said...

Hey! I posted those directions on my craft site. If you have any questions, just drop me an email.

Lucy said...

High Maintenance...mmm....don't think you are that....actually not sure what you are...but you do have some issues that we will have to deal with, after this next commercial break....Dr. Phil

Desperate Housewife said...

Don't think of it as "high maintenance"... think of it as "having standards."

Darlene said...

lol - ummm...thanks guys....I think.

p.s. I don't like Dr. Phil - he's manufactured by Oprah...If I've got to be on a talk show, I think it would have to be Ellen....Although I don't know how she'd "cure" me...

Anonymous said...

Hey, I'm high maintenance and proud of it! My son calls me high strung. My husband calls the first few years of our marriage "boot camp" and that was before he came home with diatetic ice cream. As long as everyone is aware of the pecking order in the house, then everything is just fine.

Kare said...

You are perfect the way you are.
Do not, I repeat, do not change anything.

Darlene said...

sue: Amen. lol

kare: I love you! Come home!

amanda said...

you and karen are the funniest people i know!!! but i dont know you??? still very funny tho. love reading your stories

Darlene said...

amanda: Your mom, Karen & I grew up in the way cool, big hair & blue eyeshadow days...After surviving the '80's, anyone would have a sense of humor. ahaha Thanks for stopping by! :o)

The Chocolate Nerd said...

High Maitenance is always a compliment!
You are absolutely hilarious by the way!

Darlene said...

chocolate: thnx :o) and I love your site as well!