03 September 2006

12 Step Program....

I have a housewares addiction. Yes, I admit it. I'm not ashamed of it. I will work until the end of time to feed this addiction. I also feel that it's a genetic thing, as my Mother suffers from it as well.

I sat the other day and tried to think how many set of dishes I have owned in the almost 17 years I've been married, and I'm on my 12th set - This doesn't include the 4th set of Christmas dishes I'm on, but that's a whole other blog. Trust me. I couldn't even count (even though I really, really tried) how many bedding sets I've had, but I'm down to a summer one, a fall/winter one and my Christmas one. And then there's the vintage butter dish addiction I had a few years back - ebay was my best friend.

Anyway........about 2 months ago, I was shopping with Vaughn - he was shopping for God-knows-what, and I (as always) drifted to the housewares. I walked, surveyed the dishes, realizing that there wasn't anything that was catching my eye, so I strolled and strolled.....and then I came to an abrupt halt. Cutlery. I've been pretty good in this department, as I'm only on about my 6th set, so I'm pretty satisfied in that aspect. But I fell in love with this cutlery. And I started bellowing throughout the department store to Vaughn. He came running, and there I was, rubbing the cutlery.

"Oh honey, I love it!"
"It's impractical. The forks only have 3 prongs."
"Are you serious??? Oh, of course. You couldn't possibly get food on this fork with only 3 prongs - Everyone knows that the 4th prong is the most important. Jesus, what was I thinking?"
"Whatever - if you like it, get it."
"Never mind - I'll just covet it." And I think I actually whimpered a bit.

You see, I married a co-dependant spouse. I have a serious addiction and he feeds it. He has no addictions whatsoever, and he actually thinks I'm a little off kilter, but he loves me, and he permits me to be this way, so, technically it's all kind of his fault.

We've been to this store many, many times in the past few months, and I'm always drawn to this cutlery. He loses me in the store, because he always knows where to find me. I'm just there - standing - holding this cutlery and silently pouting.

So.....I come home from work on Friday night....All of my old cutlery is on the table. Me, thinking either Adam got sidetracked emptying the dishwasher, or he broke the cutlery drawer, walk into the kitchen. I open the drawer, and there it is....My new cutlery. I started squealing like a child and I jumped on him. I then looked at him and said, "You are so getting lucky tonight." My daughter almost vomit.

I love Vaughn - even though this really is all his fault.



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

11 comments:

Schell said...

Holy nice cutlery. Where did you find that. 4 sets of Christmas dishes? Darlene, every year I see sets with snowmen and Christmas trees, and I have no idea how I have talked myself out of them. Maybe this will be the year, but I will need like 3 sets of one kind, or maybe 4 to feed all the devils. I know, I will buy only one set and never invite anyone ever again, ya good idea. Oooohhh, too bitter. Nice to see you back again,, you must post more.

Netter said...

Oh man, I like those too! Are they heavy? They look heavy. I must say I loved this post, I giggled and knew where you were coming from. I'm on a pink kitchen kick and everyone things I'm nuts. I so what a pink mixer...and mark my words, I WILL have it. Maybe not tomorrow, maybe not this year...but someday, I will have my pink mixer in my retro pink kitchen.

Kare said...

I really like it!
So it's always their fault? I have to remember that. Thanks. You should have given me this information much earlier. But I have it now. Thanks.
Oh, and when you tire of those dishes..dibs.
(and your post was worth the wait!)

Desperate Housewife said...

Holy shit!! That's the Fiddlehead stuff!! I coveted it, too! It was in a cute little store here in Moncton a few years ago, but they closed down one day, and I've never seen that cutlery again!!
Tell Vaughn to send some my way, too!

Unknown said...

Giggling all the way through this. My hubby so does this some times, but usually I just go and get it myself!! Love the dishes and that cutlery is to die for!! Have a great Monday!!

.:Cris:. said...

I gotta say, that cutlery is awesome- 3 pronged forks or not, its very cool. I'm on the "original" cutlery here- we found 2 big boxes on clearance and bought them. Its almost time to replace it, as we're down to a half dozen spoons, 2 table knives... lol

Very cool, Darlene!!!

Cris~

Christy said...

WOW!! What a neat story!! I wish my husband would enable me a bit more. All he does is roll his eyes!!

Anonymous said...

Kewl cutlery! Way kewl hubby! He's a keeper!

Darlene said...

schell: get the Christmas dishes! You'll never regret it! The trick is to get them on Boxing day. :o)

netter: They are heavier than normal - and I love love love the pink retro theme!

karen: We are always right - keep repeating it. :o) love you

dh: Guess where I found them?? Canadian freakin' Tire!

brandy: I feel we are put on this earth for our husband's amusement :o)

.:cris:. : Repeat after me...Time for new cutlery! Keep saying it all the way to the store. :o)

christy: Believe me - my husband has done his fair share of eye-rolling. ;o)

sue: Thanks! My husband (and the cutlery) are keepers...well, the husband is, anyway. hahah

Desperate Housewife said...

Canadian Tire??!! Oh my God! I'm going to run out there right after work tonight!!

Kare said...

lol
Run, DH, Run!
; )