12 August 2006

I'm home

So, I get ready to leave last Saturday, and realize that in the midst of my ever hectic schedule, I didn't get to the bookstore to pick up some reading material...I ripped through Amy's bookshelf and this is all I could find... The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants

I'm about 20 pages into this novel and I discover that I'm about a million years too old to read this, so I settle on the latest People magazine (The Lance Bass "I'm Gay" publication - like I didn't know that- it's my fault, remember??) and then we get to Sylvan Lake to spend a great evening with Karen and her family....


Always a good time when we get together - even if we do manage to get in trouble every once in awhile...She even lent me a book to keep me sane while I travelled - "Confessions of a Shopaholic". Little did she know that I would want to jump through the novel and strangle Becky Bloomwood's neck. Was it because she was a total nut-job, or was it because I noticed too many similarities between her and I? I'll have to get back to you on that one.

Went to the zoo, and took absolutely no pictures...How does one go to the zoo and not take pictures? So, the next day we went to Heritage Park in Calgary which was hotter than hell but beautiful...One lady, who was dressed up in her "Little House on the Prairie" garb walked towards me in one of the houses to welcome me. Well, me (being me) thought she was a maniquin and yelled, "Holy Shit, you gave me a heart attack! I didn't know you were real!" That would have been fine if the same thing didn't happen in the next house we went to. After that, I stayed away from anything that looked remotely human. Heritage Park is beautiful, and it was an amazing day.


I love Banff...We spent the day exploring the little shops, and I even got Vaughn to drive me around to pick out the house I'll live in when I win the lottery....I decided that I will build and stay at the Banff Springs Hotel while it's being built. Oh ....My....God. I was in awe.

Anyway, I spent a lot of time on the way home trying to pick apart the holiday - trying to convince myself that I couldn't possibly have had a great time. I mean, there's always something about the holiday that sucks. But, surprisingly, this one really didn't. I did end up reading "Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants", and I laughed, cried and realized that I'm not growing up. Not yet anyway.

6 comments:

.:Cris:. said...

Welcome home, Darlene!!!

Blogland just isn't the same without ya.

Cris~

Desperate Housewife said...

That sounds soooo nice! I went to Banff once, years ago when I was in high school...I can barely remember it now, but I'd love to go back.

And one of my 40-ish friends keeps urging me to see or read "Pants." She loves it.

Schell said...

Always wanted to read that book.

Darlene said...

I think I have to see the movie now - very "coming-of-age" sort of book...Kinda brought back a few memories.

.:cris:. Thanks so much! My life wasn't the same without blogland either! ;o)

Unknown said...

Love the movie and my daughter loved the books. Glad you are home. Great pictures. Sounds like a grand time!!

mist1 said...

Shopaholic made me nearly suicidal in the beginning. I actually had to put it down because the temptation to shop was overwhelming and I was on the beach...no where near any good shopping.

Unless you call Corona tank tops good shopping.

Which naturally, I don't.