02 December 2008

picture this....


I saw this painting in a store back in September or October and was instantly attracted to it. I knew it was probably too big for my dining room, so, as always, I sent a picture to Kare and anxiously waited for her opinion. She liked it, told me I should buy it (yes, she's a terrific influence), so I did. I brought it home, Vaughn hung it on the wall, and from that moment on, it gave me the creeps. I don't know if it was the fact that none of the people had faces, but it was giving me nightmares. Seriously. I didn't know what to do.

Then one evening while I was in a furniture store with Vaughn, I came across another painting. I swear, angels began to sing when I looked at it. It was much bigger than the already too big creepy painting, but I loved it right away. I made myself comfortable on a couch while Vaughn went looking at big screen tv's and once again sent the picture to Kare. We had a long, wonderful conversation while I laid on the couch, and I contemplated whether or not I should buy it. I mean, it had only been a few weeks since the creepy painting episode, so I figured I'd lay off the impulse buys and give it some time. I walked in about 3 weeks later and there it was. I took it as a sign.


I'll be the first to admit that I have a shopping problem, but I kind of blame Kare. Even living 8 hours away, she still helps me feed my addiction. I miss her every day.

9 comments:

Netter said...

The creepy painting reminds me of New Orleans. Just looking at it makes me want to drink. The colors are nice, but the whole "no face" issue is creepy.

You know, I have friends that I love to go shopping with, but we have a secret war to try very hard not to outspend the other person. It's crazy, we encourage each other to buy crap that we don't need...and stick stuff back when the other person isn't looking.

Oh, and I got the package yesterday...I'll post about it when I manage to find my camera battery charger. Thank you so much! You spoiled me rotten and my house smells yummy.

Darlene said...

nett: I know - the painting reminded me of New Orleans as well. I think that's what made me buy it to begin with. I just loved the colors.

I'm so glad the package came! Did anything get broken? I was sure at least one thing would.

Anonymous said...

New Orleans was my first impression too but you're right, there's something about the painting that is a little "body snatcher-ish". Maybe it's the lighting or the fact that the people are seemingly startled and looking into the bar. I dunno. The colors are lovely though. Perhaps it will grow on you or you can always hang it in the guest bedroom when those least-favorite relatives come to stay.

Desperate Housewife said...

I like the second one, obviously. What are you going to do with the creepy one?

Darlene said...

Adam made me swear not to give it away - he loves it & he'll take it with him if he ever moves out - so it's hidden under the stairs.

Kare said...

Hey... Don't blame me! I'll always say 'buy it'. That's just what I do. ; )
I do like the Chocolat one better though. Muchos better. It's great that Adam is going to take that pic. Sad that eventually he'll move out though. Hopefully not for a long while.

Today I was out at the mall and saw the picture that you have going up your stairs at a shop. I laughed and told M that you had it and we wanted to White Out the "n't" in the very last box so it read "the best things in life are things." hahaha I think every day M hears a story about us.
I miss you, too. Lots.

ps: why does your wall look pink?

pps: I ordered the couch.

Kare said...

Ya. A couch. Talk about 'feeding addictions', Darleeeeeeeeeene!

Darlene said...

Yay, you ordered the couch!!! Did you find a coffee table? Oh man, I friggin love shopping - I'm actively on the hunt for new living room furniture too. It's time.

p.s. I have no idea why the walls look pink - I hate that.

Anonymous said...

It's been, what, 2 years since you bought the leather set? Definitely time for new stuff.
(that is sarcasm, btw)