22 December 2008


Okay, so it's not a hurricane, it's not a tsunami, it may not even be the end of the world. But, believe me, it's a disaster for me.

I was getting ready for work this morning, and, as I always do, I dry my hair, put on my makeup, and as I'm sectioning my hair, I turn on my flat iron. However, this morning, it would not work. After about 15 minutes of panicked attempts of pressing the 'reset' button, Vaughn woke up & my eyes were filled with tears. When I told him what was happening, he immediately took out his tools to try and fix it. Poor guy - he took one look at my head and knew he had to perform a miracle. When that didn't work, he took out the soldering iron to try and make a connection in the wires. Nope. Nothing.

When I say I have naturally curly hair, its kind of an understatement. I mean, if I had intended on wearing my hair curly today, it probably would have looked great, because I have corkscrew curl - but it takes a LOT of work to make it look good. I have to use a ton of product and a diffuser. When I'm intending on wearing my hair straight, I just turn my head upside down and wait until the hair dryer does it's job. The result is that I look like a mixture between Gene Simmons and Don King. That's when my flat iron does it's magic.

So, here I am, having had to use a bottle of shine and a curling iron to straighten this nest on my head - all so I can look presentable enough to make it to the hair salon to purchase another straightener before I have to go to work.

Just to give you an idea of what my hair is like, allow me to share a few photos of my childhood. When my mother took me for my 1st haircut, the hairdresser couldn't even get a comb through my hair. She had to grab it in clumps and cut it right to the skull. I looked like a little boy for years. Needless to say, I have total hair issues.

5 comments:

Kare said...

I understand.
Oh Darlene.
Buy 2.

Absolutely adorable pictures, btw.
And Darlene, you are beautiful no matter what your hair looks like.
Vaughn is such a sweetheart. God bless him.

Desperate Housewife said...

So cute!!

That sucks. Maybe Santa will bring you a new one. Or two, as Kare suggested.

And I have to tell you, I suffered through 3 perms a year in my younger days in my quest for curly hair. Corkscrew curls are one of my unfulfilled dreams.

Anonymous said...

Oh I'm soooooo sorry. I have curly hair in the back and in the front its straight.... I have to go one way or the other and that WOULD be a major problem for me too!

Buy a couple and stick one in the "extra" shelve and next time you will only panic until you find it!

Oh and Vaughn should get major points for trying! And on the other hand he SHOULD know what to buy you for xmas!

Hope you have a better day!

Darlene said...

Thanks everyone - however, Christmas couldn't wait, so I had to purchase one today. Please tell me who has an extra $185 three days before Christmas.

Anyone?

Anonymous said...

Oh man! I can totally relate. I don't have curly hair and I don't have straight hair which means I have hair somewhere in the middle: I have marooned-on-an-island hair. It's crazed and requires much heat to look presentable. Yes, get a spare!

P.S. In that first pic you look like you're thinking, "I hate this hair!" However, you were a cute little thing!