22 November 2006

'Tis the Season


Christmas comes and goes every year. There are a few things that begin to get me into the spirit. Don't get me wrong - I love Christmas. I live for this holiday. Not necessarily for the presents (although this is a major bonus), but for the feeling it brings to my heart. I love giving, sharing, baking, and I love decorating - finding old ornaments that ignite all these memories for me.

However, in order for me to get this "warm-fuzzy" feeling, things have to happen first, and a few of them have happened......

1) My Mom's gumdrop cake - I don't particularity like gumdrop cake, but when I take a bite of it, it feels like Christmas. My parents retired and moved a million miles away last year, but she still sent me this cake in the mail. I ate it, and I cried.

2) Snow - Okay, seriously, we could have snow in July and I would take out every decoration and start the holiday festivities early. I am not a summer person at all - I live for the winter.

3) Christmas Carols - I love Christmas music - this is music that I could honestly listen to all year round, but I limit myself. I try so hard to wait until it's about a month before, and then, look out. It's playing at work, at home, and in my car. I think my previous co-workers had actually taken contracts out on my life because of this. Then it gets to the most important carol - Josh Grobin singing "O Holy Night". I try to save this one for last because this is the one that makes it all happen for me. When he hits that final 'Noel' in the song, every hair on my body stands on end, my eyes well up with tears, and I think I actually feel like I'm going to pee in my pants.
This morning, as I was driving Adam to school, I found a mixed Christmas CD that Vaughn had made me about 3-4 years ago. So, we're listening to the tunes, and I'm singing along (badly, I might add, but my enthusiasm totally makes up for my lack of vocal talent)....I'm driving home, and it comes on. I turned it off right away, wondering if I'm ready to start hauling out the 14 rubbermaid totes and turning our house into Santa's Village.
So, I pulled into the garage and played it as loud as I could. I sat there and cried like a baby, all the while, Porkchop is riding shotgun and looking at me like I had lost my mind. Even if you're not a Josh Grobin fan, his rendition of this classic will put anyone in the Christmas spirit.

By the end of the weekend, it will look like a Christmas tornado swept through here. I can't wait.

Have a great day, everyone. Peace.

****Newly added thought****

I nearly forgot about egg nog! After my sobfest in the car, I went to Starbucks & got a Non-Fat Egg Nog Latte. My 1st one of the season! Oh My God, I swear I could hear the reindeer after one sip.

13 comments:

Desperate Housewife said...

The Boy and I sang "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town" in the car this morning!
And our big giant Christmas craft and antique fair is this weekend!!

Anonymous said...

I go ca-razy over Christmas every year too. I force myself to wait until the day after TG to get started. I must get the Josh Grobin version! I need a good cry. :o)

Anonymous said...

OK, so I'm decorating my Christmas tree tomorrow....I don't care how early it is....I'm doing it and I don't care what anyone thinks.... really, I don't!
I love Christmas so much...I don't know what to do.....hea hea!

Darlene said...

dh: I love Christmas craft fairs!

sue: I'm trying to hold off until after Thanksgiving as well - however, I'm Canadian & our Thanksgiving was in October, so I'm safe. :o)

anonymous: (like I don't know who this is...ahaha) Send me a picture of your tree when you get it up - I'll be drinking slushies around it during the holidays. ;o)

Unknown said...

Friday I will be starting on decorating the toy tree. By Saturday I will have the snowman tree up and all the decorations through the whole house. Sunday should see me putting up the lites outside so it will look like an airport runway!! If I could I would start decorating the beginning of November, but hubby has forbid that from happening! I really need some SNOW!! Wanna send me some?? LOL

Darlene said...

brandy: I love snow as well, but we have lots to share, so I'll send some your way. :o)

Anonymous said...

You're in Canada, eh? You really can maximize the the whole after-TG-beginning-of-Xmas-season frenzy!

Anonymous said...

Can you decorate my house, too?

Dan said...

Would it kill you to save me some of your mom's gumdrop cake this year? ;)

Darlene said...

dan: c'mon over :o) She always sends enough for a small village.

Anonymous said...

I know someone who has crocheted you something...and it's Christmasy!

M@ said...

I swear I could hear the reindeer after one sip.

Yeah, that Starbucks is some good sh*t.... At one time, I'd smoke a lot of pot before heading into my office job, then get my morning venti w/ a nice cigarette.

Now, I've GOT to try one of the lattes!

Darlene said...

matt: You won't be disappointed. :o)