28 November 2006

Do I Qualify for a Handicap Sticker?


I have come to the conclusion that I should never make plans. It seems that every time I do, it's like there's a little, evil person on my shoulder making sure that I don't follow through with them. Let's take this past weekend for example....

My big plan was to decorate. I'm just not an everyday decorator - when it comes to Christmas decorating, it becomes an actual event at my house. My son jumps right on the bandwagon with me, while my husband sits "Grinch-like" in the corner (blog to follow), and my daughter heckles from the sidelines. Thank God one of my spawn turned out like me. Anyway, I'm getting off the topic here. Sunday morning, I decided to get the housework done while my husband proceeds to pull my truckload of rubbermaid totes into the living room so I can get the ball rolling. I'm in the bathtub, scrubbing the tiles with one hand and talking to Kare with the other hand. I hang up with her, and as I go to get up, I threw out my back. I've been a cripple ever since. My living room is covered in totes, because, God forbid anyone else get into the holiday spirit and do it....So, I'm laying on my back in the middle of the room, and here's how it goes:

My husband says, "Don't worry about the decorations - I'll put up the tree".
I say, "There's more than the tree - I've got a thousand totes to open!"
He says, "We only need the tree - we don't need any of that other stuff".
I say, "I could punch you in the throat right now".
He says, "Catch me".

I will be charged with murder when my back heals.

On a happier note, I went over to kare's on Saturday evening for coffee, and she gave me the greatest gifts!
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Her talents will always amaze me. And Almond Roca! I nearly died. I try to limit myself to only Christmas day with these because I become a complete glutton with them, but seeing they were a gift, I took an exception. I ate 9 before bedtime, and I couldn't sleep all night, knowing that there were 3 left. I became nervous that someone else would eat them, so I woke up at 7am Sunday to finish them off.

Does anyone want to come over and help me decorate?

Have a great day everyone. Peace.

17 comments:

Netter said...

Oh man! I hope you are feeling better very, very soon. If I lived within a few hours of your house, I'd be standing on your door step bright and early on Sat morning, ready to help you decorate. I'd get you situated with a nice cup of Java and let you point to where things go. I completely understand the need for many, many decorations. There is nothing better than a house that looks like a Christmas bomb exploded, sreading goodwill and cheer into every corner. Feel better SOON!

Kare said...

You poor girl, Darlene. Did you at least get some good muscle relaxants? Some of those are awesome! You know, I'm just going to phone you..(I should post your number in case anyone else wants to call you, too)

Darlene said...

netter: My husband says that it always looks like Santa came and threw up all over the house. There's no room to escape anywhere!

kare: God Bless muscle relaxants. Amen.

mist1 said...

Can't wait for the Grinch post.

Darlene said...

mist: you'll laugh, you'll cry & you'll wish bad things on my husband.

Desperate Housewife said...

It sounds to me like you have some great guilt ammunition.
"I threw my back out because of you! At Christmas! There'd better be a new car under the tree for me!"

Darlene said...

dh: I love where you're going, but I don't think the new car thing will fly too well, seeing I just got one about 2 months ago - I am, however, in the market for new dishes. ;o)

Anonymous said...

and napkins.

Anonymous said...

you left out the part about when i took an almond roca.
and you beat me in a fit of rage and made me stick my fingers down my throat and puke it up.
... it tasted better the second time.

... so maybe it wasnt that dramatic.
but it was close.

p.s. how many spelling/grammar mistakes did i make in this?
.. its because im not in school.
ahaha

loooove you! =]

p.p.s 6 MORE SLEEPS

Unknown said...

If I could I would drive up there today and help you decorate. I love decorating for Christmas. My hubby is the Grinch in our house too. Even the outside lites and decorations yours truly does!! Now to get tape and start wrapping presents. My trees look bare under them!!

Hope your back feels better soon!

Schell said...

I hear ya on all the totes and everything, kinda crazy what we do at Christmas, you and I are the same. I'm holding out for a couple of more days though. Is your back better today?

Darlene said...

brandy: I don't know about you, but I wrap EVERYTHING...I have a thing about wrapping paper.

schell: I'm still walking a little gimpy, but it's actually feeling a bit better, thanks. So good to see you back! I missed you! :o)

Lucy said...

Bad news....there's also a cashew roca that's even better than the almond!

Netter said...

Darlene, do you take down all the photos and paintings hanging in your house, wrap them with wrapping paper and decorate them with ribbons and tags, then hang them back in their spots? I did that one year and it looked so cute. Of course people made fun of me for doing it but anything worth doing is worth being teased about, right.

Darlene said...

lucy: cashew roca?? I'll have to try it!

netter: Actually, all the paintings get taken down because Christmas stuff gets hung up in it's place - but the whole wrapping of the paintings sounds like fun! Friggin' people who tease just don't appreciate holiday spirit! :o)

Anonymous said...

Oh, Darlene
I'll come over and help you decorate, and I'll bring slush, K?
I think with all the pain your in your boss should have given you time off work...paid time that is!

Darlene said...

dear anonymous: I completely agree - but you haven't met my boss...total bee-otch....AHAHAHA

p.s. hey, Amanda - aka, my boss...