26 October 2006


So, you know how there are fruit trucks all over the sides of the road in the summer? They sell the greatest, sweetest, freshest fruit. We've all bought from them - I know I have a million times. I don't know what it is about fruit sold from a truck that makes it better than the fruit sold at the grocery store. I mean, for all I know, they stock up at the grocery store, load it into the back of the truck, stick it in little baskets, mark it "Fresh Picked Fruit", and sell it for twice the price. But I fall for it, and buy it every time.

My husband is a bit similar - however, he doesn't buy fruit out of the back of a truck. He buys meat. He came home the other day with his arms full of different kinds of sausage and burgers, etc....all bought from a guy in the back of his truck.

I'm thinking that they must have run out of every spice except for garlic, because you could smell my husband coming a mile away. Every time I opened my fridge, the smell wafted throughout and my house was smelling like Bangladesh.

I've resorted to triple-bagging everything, because there's nothing more appetizing than my garlic-flavored fruit and milk.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

amen girlfriend.
i had a glass of our apple juice today and i smelt like i went on a strict brushetta diet for the past month.
the meat isnt even that good.
and i bet the money for it dipped into my christmas present fund. ahaha MERRY CHRISTMAS! HAVE A HUNK OF SAUSAGE! .... ahaha oh dad.

mist1 said...

I got used to garlic fruit. My dad's cutting board just spread the flavor to everything. Every time I go home and savor a garlic apple, I think about my childhood.

Desperate Housewife said...

Mmmmm, garlic milk!
I always wonder about fruit and vegetables at farmer's markets. Sometimes I think they just go shopping at some big grocery store, and then put the stuff in cute little baskets and sell it to suckers like me.

Schell said...

Your right Darlene, it is good sold right off the back of a truck. How was work this week? Have a good weekend kay.

Darlene said...

schell: I went back to work on Wednesday & haven't stopped since - nice to be back in a routine, though. How was your week? Did you manage to get any Christmas shopping done in Edmonton? I've really got to think about starting that sometime. You have a good weekend as well.

Anonymous said...

"smelling like Bangladesh"!! Ha haha! I think the fruit off the back of the truck has actually had time to ripen on the vine/tree and that's why it tastes better. Fresh fruit - yummy. Garlic milk - not yummy.

Unknown said...

Hey there. I am finally getting caught back up. How are you doing?? Hope better. How did work go for you?? I love buying fresh veggies and fruit off of those trucks. They taste the best and sweetest. Not too sure about the meat thing though. Have a great weekend!!