19 July 2006

My daughter, the hero

Yesterday was a blast. At first (as usual) I was complaining to Amy that there was no logical reason for us to be arriving at the concert 4.5 hours early. Amy (being Amy) had a mini tantrum (amazing how she's almost 20 and still hasn't gotten over the "terrible twos"). You see, Amy LOVES Our Lady Peace. She has the "Naveed" tattoo on her foot, she has "OLP" on her grad ring - she even sent in the most unbelieveable video to Much Music about 4 years ago, because she wanted to meet them. (Didn't win, but got an honorable mention)

Anyway.....we get there....and it's raining. I'm instantly cranky. She walks up to the arena and sees these 2 girls wearing VIP passes. She then is thinking (out loud, I might add) "how in the hell did they get those???" They tell her that about 15 or so people were randomly stopped for having those KYX 98 "balls of summer" on their antennas of their cars. Well, Amy, not having her license, says "Well, I don't have my license. What the hell was I supposed to do - walk around town with one on my head?" (shoot me - she's just like her mother) So, she proceeds to tell them how she's seen them 4 times, the tattoo, grad rings, and the video - in which she dressed up like a duck singing in the shower, dressed like a clown and stood by the side of the road with a sign saying "HONK IF YOU LOVE OUR LADY PEACE", and dressed in a tutu in the mall and sang OLP music....etc...etc...etc...

A lady from KYX Promotions overheard and told Amy, "Gee, you are such an extreme fan (extreme as in stalker) - I wish I had brought more passes." Amy sits and sulks... We then get her to go up to this lady and get her to take pictures at least - so the lady take Amy's camera and tells her that she will burn a copy of all the pictures that she takes for the newspaper as well. Amy starts to cheer up....

All of the "VIP" people start to go in.... Amy's eyes start to well up.... Before you know it, some other lady comes out of the sound check party and walks up to Amy and says, "Are you Amy? The one with the tattoo?" (I think she had to be more specific in that department because she has 8, but whatever) Amy says "Yeah". She hands Amy a VIP pass, and says, "Come with me - you can meet the band". OH MY GOD. I was screaming, Amy was crying and we all went mental. She got to listen in on their sound check, met them all and got wicked awesome pictures with them. She came out and said, "I didn't know we weren't supposed to clap at sound checks". She can die a happy woman.

So - we went to another concert - I was up front with my daughter in the mosh pit. I screamed and sang and got the crap beaten out of me, and today I have lost my voice and I feel like I've been run over by a bus. Amy looked at me last night and said "Thanks Mom - for everything". I didn't do anything, but, with all of the pain I'm feeling right now, it was so worth it. The look on her face will forever be my favorite memory.

5 comments:

Kare said...

Great story.
I'm so glad that Amy got to meet them. Very very cool.
Wow. I still can't believe what your voice sounds like. LOL.

Kare said...

No luck getting the pictures up, hey.

Darlene said...

nope - crap...I'll try later though.

Kare said...

Please do.

Kare said...

testing