13 September 2008

a quick read & a movie

I read this book about a week ago - a quick read, but so humorous. I love Billy Crystal's interpretation of his family and his upbringing. However, it was much more enjoyable when I was visualizing his family speaking in their Jewish/New York accents.

Adam is at a friend's for the day, and I had recorded this on the PVR awhile ago, so after shopping for a new vanity for the bathroom (story about this to follow....), we had a few hours to kill. Depressing, heartbreaking, and, I'll admit, when it finally hit Halle Berry's character that her husband was gone, her breakdown brought tears to my eyes. And Benicio del Toro? Well, he's just amazing in anything he stars in.

Now...to the new vanity in the bathroom.... Amy came up to surprise me last Sunday, because her birthday was Monday & my heart was broken. We had a ton of kids here (and by kids, I mean, her 21-23 year old friends that will always be kids to me)... Anyway, I always have a candle lit in the bathroom on the corner of the vanity. I have for the 12 years we've lived here. One of her friends (of course, nobody went to the bathroom) washed their hands and dropped the towel on the candle and set my bathroom on fire. Thankfully, it was caught early and the only major damage was the vanity. Once the shock wore off, I realized it was time for a bathroom overhaul anyway.

Have a wonderful weekend. :o)

7 comments:

.:Cris:. said...

Way to get a new bathroom? Glad nothing major happened.

When I was 12 my little brother set the bathroom trash on fire. (at the wall between the bathroom and my bedroom) I heard the smoke alarm go off but rolled over and went back to sleep because I assumed my sister was burning toast again.

Have fun with that bathroom remodel, and might I suggest the flameless scented candles at the next bday party? :)

Darlene said...

cris: It was unintentional, I swear! hahaha It should be interesting, that's for sure. I know what I'd like, but it's just a matter of finding it now.

Desperate Housewife said...

My mother bought me a battery-operated candle a couple of years ago because she was afraid I was going to burn my place down with candles. It sounds pretty tacky, but the candle is wax on the outside, and it has a flickering light on the inside, so it even sort of looks like a real candle. And it smells like vanilla!

Darlene said...

dh: Well, I'm thinking I'm going to look into something like that - I do, however, have a blanket chest and an entire shelving unit (I'm not exaggerating) of Partylite I have to use up....

Anonymous said...

Well, that's one way to force the issue! Ahahaha! I'm glad you got to see your girl.

I love Billy Crystal - Miracle Max is my favorite character!

Ms K said...

Sorry about the fire. Let me know when you find the vanity and countertop. oh, man, Darlene, we were out at Cochrane today and there are tons of gift shops there. There was this AMAZING bathroom sink and vanity and I thought of you. It was all painted glass. Sooooo pretty. Oh, and napkins galore!!
I can take those Partylite candles off your hands... really, you should get rid of them.

Darlene said...

sue: It was awesome seeing Amy - even if it was only for a day & a half. yes, Billy Crystal is one of the greats, isn't he?

kare: I'm beyond frustrated with the whole vanity thing. I think I may just cut the bathroom right off my house.
p.s. I sent you something today. :o)