04 September 2008

I walked into Ikea last weekend to get these:

And, I walked out with this:
After almost 19 years of marriage I finally was able to rid myself of the very last 'hand-me-down' piece of furniture that we owned. I'm not quite sure as to why we hung onto our old china cabinet for so long, as I can honestly say it was the ugliest eyesore EVER. Geez, I've been through 5 dining room tables, 4 living room sets, and at least 12 sets of dishes since we got that cabinet from my parents. Since we threw out the old one, I've come to the conclusion that I don't actually hate my house anymore. I'm not in love with the new one, but, with the amount of stuff I have, it was the one that held the most and kept everything semi-hidden. Like I said to Vaughn, anything was better than what we had.

11 comments:

.:Cris:. said...

I LOVE the new cabinet!

16 years of marriage here- still on 1st set of dishes. *giggle*

Darlene said...

cris: I admit I have a problem. You are my hero....however, if you are ever in need of new dishes, give me a call - I just bought new ones a few weeks ago & I'm sure I'll be ready for a new set in about 6 months. hahah

egan said...

Ikea works in mysterious ways. I know we've had similar visits where we came home with much more than we planned. Lately that hasn't been the case. We've been more focussed and if they don't have what we went for, we just go home. I think the baby keeps us from staying too long. Good find Darlene.

Darlene said...

egan: Maybe I need to borrow your baby the next time I go?

Lucy said...

OMG...that happens to me at IKEA all the time...especially if Hubby comes along!

Anonymous said...

God bless Ikea. I just got a Frakke (i think) and a Lack and a Frukkenfogelfruegle. (ok. I made that last one up.) Seriously, though, I got an office chair and a desk for 60 bucks!! That's insane. Oh! And they sell dog poop bags, too! Who would have thought. LOVE the cabinet. Which dishes did you get??

Darlene said...

lucy: It's like a million square feet of impulse shopping.

kare: I got my dishes at Stokes - I'll send you a picture. Not sure if I like them a whole lot yet - they may not make it to the 6 month mark... I got a desk for $40 as well! I friggin love that store.

Anonymous said...

Very cool cabinet! Ikea is an impulse shoppers paradise, isn't it? My daughter almost talked me into buying her a whole new bedroom set but I came to my senses in the nick of time! What is the item in the top pic? Coasters?

Darlene said...

Sue: no, they're napkins. I redid Amy's bedroom for her 18th birthday & I went crazy there!

Desperate Housewife said...

Ohhhh, Ikea! I've never been there, which is probably a good thing.

Darlene said...

dh: Oh, you'd absolutely LOVE it! It's amazing how you can walk through there and see a million things that you wonder how you ever lived without.