01 March 2007

My Daily Rant



I used to love 'American Idol' - back in the day, I would plan my evenings around it. One day, however, it all came to a sudden halt.


In season 4, they had a contestant named Constantine. Normally I think Paula Abdul is a total nut-job, but I was totally on her side for my big huge girlie-crush on this man. When he'd sing, I would actually giggle & blush like a little school girl. Was he a great singer? Not particularly - but what a performer. He'd seduce the camera, with his 'sly-as-a-fox' grin and his 'come hither' eyes. I'd like to say that I'm not an animated person, but the night he got kicked off, I threw the remote at the wall and screamed, "This isn't a competition! It's a goddamn personality contest! This stupid-assed show is rigged! Why don't they let us f***ing Canadians vote? At least we've got some kind of f***ing clue as to what f***ing talent is! Stupid piece of shit show!" My husband, very dryly, looked at me and said, "C'mon honey, don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel". I was in no mood for sarcasm. I vowed never to watch it again.



Amanda is a total "American Idol' junkie. All last season, all I heard about was Chris Daughtry. It drove her crazy that I didn't watch the show and she had nobody to talk about it with. It drove me even more crazy, because I was boycotting it. So, I promised her that I would watch it this time - just so she could share her enthusiasm or disappointment with someone.



So, here I am - having just finished watching the elimination show, and I'm totally bewildered. Seriously, they call Simon, Paula & Randy (whom I despise with an infinite passion) judges. They're not judges!!!! They are simply people who sit there and give their opinions every week. They have no say as to who stays and who doesn't.


Why aren't Canadians allowed to vote??? I'm 1 month into this show and I can feel my remote-holding hand start to shake. They're eliminating some real talent & they're keeping some really awful singers who are clearly out of their league. I wish I hadn't started watching now, but now I can't stop... Amanda, I'm so mad at you.

Have a great evening, everyone. Peace.






21 comments:

Unknown said...

OMG! I am so with you! I cant believe that a couple of them are staying. WTH are people thinking!!!! I cant stand that Antanella(sp). She is just awful! Ugh!! But now I cant stop watching. Someone save me!

Darlene said...

Antonella...Is that the one who sang Aerosmith last week & Celine Dion this week? She sucked SO BAD!

Netter said...

I feel your pain. I really do. You wanna vote? I have a plan. I watch the show....and I vote. We have two hours to call in...so, you need to email me with the person you want me to vote for, for you...and I will make the call. Then I will call in my vote.

Ah ha! See, you just have to be smarter than the panel, which isn't so hard. Dont you have a Canadian Idol?

Honestly, I have to tell you...I couldn't stand Constentine, I think I would have liked him more if he didn't do that thing with the camera. I felt that it was a little creepy. He had an OK voice though. I usually vote according to the overall preformace and if they really sucked, I try to remember what they were like prior and give them another shot. I do think Constantine went to soon...but the great thing about Idol, is that if you have any true talent, after the show you can still make it big. Look at Jennifer Hudson.

Netter said...

Yeah, and why the hell did Antonella stick around? I'll tell you why....the high school kids get all their pals to vote for two hours straight.

I think they should change the voting...if you think they suck, vote them off. That chick would be the first to go. EVERYONE outside of her friends and family would be voting her off.

Darlene said...

nett: yeah, Constantine was definitely a "love him or hate him" type of guy. Everyone thought I was crazy. I'm with you about voting for talent...I just think that the panel should probably have some say, don't you?
And, yes, we do have Canadian Idol, but I've never watched it. I think it goes WAY beyond lame-o. Who do you think is a good contender so far?

Dan said...

The image of you watching Constantine, giggling and sipping your Venti Cappuccino is making me giggle.

And there's a reason your hand shakes on the remote. Caffeine! :)

Darlene said...

dan: AHAHAHA I never thought of that.

Netter said...

I think LaKisha Jones and Melinda Doolittle have the best bet at going all the way. The girls are a lot stronger this year...but part of me enjoys Blake Lewis and Chris Richardson...but they annoy me too. I think the guys have a lot of work to do.

I do know that I want Sanjaya and Antonella to GO...I can't stand listening to either of them. I almost want to say that I will stop watching if they don't get voted off....but I never get my way.

Kare said...

Oh Darlene. You are too funny.
And what's even funnier is that I know you so well so I know you aren't even exaggerating a bit! I only watch this show at the very beginning when the "talent" is excruciatingly painful (and hilarious) so I really have nothing to say about it but I feel compelled to point something out. You said " I'd like to say that I'm not an animated person..." ROFL
That's why I love you so much!

Christy said...

Yummy Chris Daughtry! His new album is worth every penny!

As far as Idol goes you have it right on the money! So far this year I can't really see anyone that could make a really killer record. Ya know?

Anonymous said...

Believe me, I'm with you on that! The people that should win never do and then there's Taylor Hicks. WTF?!! I couldn't quite believe my eyes, but then again, George W. Bush got elected a second time and I wanted to MOVE TO CANADA!! Don't get me started. I'll not even go into the subject of the set of disfunctional judges and host on the show, Good Lord! They all need their heads chopped off.

egan said...

You can't vote in our elections so why would you vote on American Idol? I'm just saying.

Remember the show is really about popularity and not talent. It's kind of like life unfortunately. I love Simon, I don't care what anyone else says.

Darlene said...

kare: I knew you'd pick up on the "animated" quote. LOL

Christy: I've heard Chris Daughtry & he's pretty awesome. Kinda cute too.... ;o)

sue: Yeah, I sometimes hear Taylor Hicks on the radio & think, 'You've got to be kidding me. THIS is the best that they could come up with???'

netter: I agree, the girls (aside from Antonella) are much stronger than the boys.

Darlene said...

egan: Simon tells it like it is - even if it means being an asshole. I think he's really the only judge with any sense.

Netter said...

I agree that Simon is the only one with any sense...he does tend to be to harsh but he calls it like he sees it. Nothing wrong with that.

Kare said...

Um...Simon is just plain mean.
He has no feelings and he's a fucking asshole.

Darlene said...

kare: don't hold back - tell us how you really feel about him. LOL

Kare said...

guess that's why we're friends.

Molecular Turtle said...

I agree it's so stupid that Canadians can't vote. We should starta petition:)

Desperate Housewife said...

I'm not a big "Idol" person, but I did once run my hand through Kalan Porter's golden locks.

Netter said...

Email me if you want me to vote for one of the guys for you...you have 2 hours.