15 January 2007


Okay, seriously - could my life be any busier? Two weeks ago, the temperature in this fine city was +10c (I have no idea what that is in fahrenheit, for all you Americans), and exactly a week later, I woke up to -31c. You know, it's no damn wonder why the plague is sweeping through here like a brush fire.

A week ago, I decided that because of this weather, I would do a tribute to the ladies that keep me warm every morning - my girls at Starbucks.

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, this is the counter that I have walked up to every morning for the past 16 months. These girls take such good care of me - this girl in particular:

Here she is, making my Venti Extra Hot, Non-Fat Caramel Macciatto - just the way I like it....With extra, extra, extra caramel on the top. She is just the sweetest lady - it's nice to walk in and no longer have to even place an order. She knows and she makes it.





And then there's the manager:


Such a sweet person, she's laughed, cried on my shoulder and talked to me every morning like she's known me all of her life. She's beyond wound up tighter than a drum, but a kind heart, and always there to give me the 'broken' gingerbread cookies.

She actually came up to me one day while I was grocery shopping with Vaughn. She put her arm around me and started talking to me about the family - After I introduced her to my husband, she proceeded to gossip about everyone and everything. When she walked away, Vaughn asked how I knew her, and when I told him that she was the lady that made my coffee everyday, he couldn't stop laughing. He couldn't understand how this person was talking to me like I was her best friend. He then looked at me and said, "Jesus, how much time do you actually spend there???" I didn't think any more of it until last week when I looked at the bottom of my receipt. You see, after every 7 coffees purchased, you get one free. My receipt boldly stated:

"You have purchased 2 of 7 towards your 83rd free beverage!"

So, I got out the handy-dandy calculator. I've gotten 82 free coffees - I had to purchase 574 coffees to get 82 free. With each coffee averaging $5.00, I have spent $2870.00. On coffee. In 16 months.

No wonder this woman thinks she's my best friend.

Have a great evening, everyone. Peace.

21 comments:

Desperate Housewife said...

I LOOOVE their chocolate covered cherries!

Unknown said...

My daughter would so love to be with you every morning. She loves Starbucks. Thats alot of coffee! Miss you.

Darlene said...

dh: I love their chocolate caramels...and gingerbread cookies!

brandy: Miss you too! Tell your daughter that I'll take her anytime! :o)

Anonymous said...

In any form -31 degrees is butt-cold! Brr! Ah, the mighty Starbucks has invaded the world. :o) My favorite is a grande decaf vanilla non-fat latte!

egan said...

I love this post. My wife is a SBUX partner so the image you use attracted me to your blog.

What's your favorite drink?

Dan said...

Darlene, you rock!

I probably didn't spend as much as you, but I appreciate (totally appreciate) our mutual addiction. And isn't it better than being addicted to heroine or even alcohol?

Now would you please slide over and give me a sip of that venti cappuccino you're nursing?

Darlene said...

sue: All I can say about -31 is NO BUGS!

egan: My favorite is the caramel macciatto, extra hot, non-fat. However, I am tempted to try the cinnamon dolche latte someday...Thanks so much for dropping by!

dan: LOL That's always the way I justify my addiction...It's legal, and I can still drive after drinking it. And, no, I'd tackle you before I shared my coffee...However, I'll get you your own - I think I'm due for another freebie. ;o)

egan said...

Yes, do try the Cinnamon Dolce. It's a tasty beverage. Are you a green tea fan?

Darlene said...

egan: No, but the chai latte is also one that's on my list...My mother-in-law swears by them. My daughter loves the green tea frappiccino, but I have an issue about drinking something that's neon green. lol

Lucy said...

My college son works at Starbucks.....OH YEAH!!! I am one lucky, MAMA, don't kid yourself!

Darlene said...

lucy: You truly are one lucky woman - I think I've gotta talk my kids into jobs there - god knows it would save me a heck of a lot of money. ;o)

Kare said...

This post is seriously funny. hahaha
I'm thinking that you should get a job there, Darlene!
; )

Darlene said...

kare: I actually thought about that...I'm seriously considering it when they open the new strip mall Starbucks down by my work now.


p.s. I'm in love with Sadie!

Polyman3 said...

A good friend of mine is a Starbuck manager here on Long Island. He says it's all a plan to get everyone addicted to Starbucks coffee. First you control their taste buds- then their minds!

Darlene said...

polyman: they've succeeded.

Schell said...

Oh gawd, you actually figured out what you spent. I couldn't even imagine some of the money I've spent on things. Crafts for example...oooohhhh it's scary. I'm such a cheap coffee drinker, instant all the way. Sighhhh. Have a good day Darlene, it was good to see you yesterday.

Netter said...

I love the Chai latte's...yummy. I can't have any caffine for a while. Long Story.

Darlene said...

schell: I never would have kept track - it showed up on the bottom of my receipt. I'm clearly not organized enough to be that anal. lol It was nice seeing you as well! :o)

nett: ok, I seriously have to hear the caffeine story! Hope you're feeling better!

egan said...

Darlene, I think it's important you know the matcha in green tea drinks isn't artificially colored. The bright green color is au naturel. Give the Frappuccino one try please and tell me what you think? My wife did extensive work on it so I'm very interested in feedback on the beverage. Merci.

Darlene said...

egan: next time my daughter orders it, I'll give it a whirl, k? ;o)

Molecular Turtle said...

That's such a sweet thing to do. I really liked the tribute.