15 October 2008

who's the boss....


Every morning I wake up at 5:20am (over an hour before everyone else), just so I can shower, make coffee, get ready for the day, in peace. I'm not sure if I do this every day for the safety of myself or others, as it's been clinically proven that I will bludgeon anyone who comes into contact with me before I've showered and had at least had 4-5 gulps of caffeine. Anyway, back to my story.

Anyone who knows me knows my love for Miss Porkchop. However, I've come to terms with the fact that I'm not her favorite human. Sure, she loves me, but in a different way than anyone else. We've discovered that she thinks she's Adam's mother, as she protects him, sits on his lap to 'help' him with his homework, wakes him up in the morning, and nags him by burrowing and licking until he finally gets out of bed.

As for Amy, well, she's her wrestling buddy. When she and Amy 'play', there are sounds that come out of my little Angel of a dog that are more resemblant of a rabid hyena than the little princess that I claim she is. I always yell, "Cut it out! She's just a little girl!" But, there Porkchop is, jumping on Amy's lap, waiting for more.

My role in Porkchop's life is her companion, aka, her pain in the ass. You see, I'm the one who can't stand it if she's just sleeping there. I have to go up and hug her, kiss her, scratch her, pick her up, and just basically, piss her off. Sure, she loves me to death. When I come home, she cries with joy and rolls instantly on her back so I can maul her. I still tell her every day (about a million times) that I love her more than anything, and that she's the greatest part of every day. However, she usually lays there, taking it all in, giving me the stink-eye the entire time.

And then there's Vaughn. To Porkchop, the sun shines right out of his ass. She follows him wherever he goes, whether it be to the kitchen to get a drink, or to the bathroom. Sometimes at night, he'll wake up to go downstairs and if she wakes up and he's not there, she'll start to cry. When he comes back to bed (about 30 seconds later), she jumps on him and kisses him like he's a long lost soldier that came back from 30 years at war. As you can see from this picture, he is sitting on the couch and she's buried herself right behind him. She sleeps directly on top of him, and I know that if it were up to her, I'd be sleeping on the couch. I know this to be a fact, because when I get out of the shower every morning, I tiptoe into the bedroom to kiss her good morning. There's never any glee or joy to see me. Want to know what I walk into? My darling dog buried under the blankets laying on the pillow peacefully sleeping - on my side of the bed. Heaven forbid if I was ever considering getting back in.
I couldn't possibly ever get mad at her. I still love her to the point that I can't stop picking on her - no matter how cheezed she gets at me. She was and will always be Porkchop the Wonder Dog - Princess of Greatness. My little angel right from heaven.



13 comments:

Netter said...

Awww! She sure is loved...what more could a pup ask for? She's housed, fed, loved, picked on, and I'm sure she thinks its her house and she gladly lets you live there. Isn't that the way it's supposed to be?

Darlene said...

nett: That's exactly right!

.:Cris:. said...

awwwwwww. An ode to pork chop :) She is such a cute dog! And spoiled, too.

Desperate Housewife said...

Such a cutie! And I love the name Porkchop.

Darlene said...

cris: Spoiled? Maybe just a little. ;o)

dh: I know right? I'm pretty sure she's the cutest dog ever. ahhaha

Anonymous said...

aw. I miss little Porkie. She is a wee bit spoiled though. Not that that's a bad thing.
xo Kare

Anonymous said...

ps: how cute are those pictures?!

Darlene said...

kare: SO CUTE!!! I swear, she's so cute, I could punch her. HAHAHAHA

p.s. She misses you too. She told me.

.:Cris:. said...

stupid, useless trivia: On the Disney cartoon 'Doug', Doug had a pet dog named Porkchop :)

Kare said...

omg. I forgot about that cartoon!

Darlene said...

cris: I remember that show!

Anonymous said...

Aw, Little Miss Porkchop is a very loved and lucky puppy. You and your family are a good "pack" for The Chop. Wonderful post!

P.S. The Daddy feels like it's The Kitty's responsibility as a pet to be petted even though she can't stand it if he touches her and will lick herself clean afterwards!

Darlene said...

sue: Thanks! Yes, Porkchop isn't too fond on being petted either, but she puts up with it for my sake.
I truly believe that something was missing in our lives and we just couldn't put our finger on it - and then she came along and she was the 'missing link'.